We stopped at Teslin, Yukon Territory around 3PM to give us time to visit the Tlingit Heritage House. The Inland Tlingit migrated to this location from Juneau Alaska, up through Atlin Lake to here. They retain close ties to the coastal Tlingit as well as to the inland Tlingit at Atlin Lake.

The Tlingit are master carvers of totem poles, as you can see below. Can you guess each animal, amphibian or bird?
Inside, a message hung on the wall.
Next door is another museum dedicated to George Johnston, a very important and successful Tlingit who was the first native to open a store in Teslin. He was fascinated by photography so he ordered a camera kit from Eaton's and took some magnificent early photos of local families. These are on display in the museum. I told the young woman at the desk that my grandmother in Scotland was a Johnston. She told me her name was Denise Johnston. In fact 99% of Teslin has the name Johnston. So I asked who was the first Johnston. She went very pensive. "I don't know " she said."But I will find out". So she called several people on her phone but nobody could answer that question. I told her I was a person who did a lot of historical research and I would love to research the first Johnston if I only had a name. She looked at me and said "Maybe we are cousins!!" and we both smiled. I left my email and she gave me hers, so perhaps I will hear from her and learn just who was the first Johnston to bestow his name and paternity on this amazing group of people.







No comments:
Post a Comment