Having turned back from the road to Tuk, we had a rather "down day" at Inuvik. The rain and cold did not ease the general negativity I felt towards the place. It was a disappoinment. Not the road to Tuk part. I was not so unrealistic as to hold Inuvik repsonsible for that. Nor did I hold her responsible for the weather. At this latitude, one expects awful weather not good weather, and we have had 14 straight days of beautiful weather. No, my feelings for Inuvik were based partly on its history, and partly on its own merits.
In the 1950s, the powers that be, decided to "help out" the natives of Aklavik who live on the Mackenzie Delta, across the river from the present Inuvik. So they relocated them to a brand new settlement purpose built for them on the high land across the river. They built "beautiful", sturdy, practical housing, and installed mordern amenities such as churches, RCMP establishments, a hospital and so forth. All the basic amenities of a Canadian inspired life style. So what's wrong with that you say? Well, that is a good question. I suppose nothing in itself, if only the sructures were not so ugly and monolithic and laid out helter skelter with no real sense of belonging. To their credit, a hefty number of people from Aklavik refused to be moved, and the community still thrives across the river from Inuvik, despite annual spring flooding. I wish I had seen Akalvik. I really do.
Of course the weather was depressing, so that did not help my feelings towards the place. And the houses themselves were rather depressing, lying as they were in a sea of mud, with not a single flower or plant to dress them up a bit. For here we are in the land where frost can occur at any time of the year and our notions of "garden" do not apply. That I understand, I truly do. But the fact is, that this community sort of lacks a soul, the people are not the people I have met on the way north. They are somehow different.
Arrival at campground.
Note: You can click on each photo to see a larger version.

An assortment of buildings.
The main street.
So we left feeling a bit down. Thankfully, our faith in the north was soon to be renewed. And that will be coming up soon. But first I will show you two places that at least partially redeem Inuvik in my eyes. That will be next.
Barbara Rick and Flossie the Scottish princess





No comments:
Post a Comment