August 3, 2018

Day 16 - Fort McPherson Pt. 2

Before leaving the Information Centre, the young woman asked me to fill out a form asking for opinions on how they could improve their visitor centre. I suggested that perhaps a map might enhance their information. She asked me if I meant a map of the village. (I actually didn't). I explained that I thought a map of their entire territory might be of interest to people, and especially if they could identify how they use it (in other words a cultural as well as environmental map). She liked that idea. I mentioned that many people would like to know more about their daily lives and activities and she liked that one too. I wanted to suggest things that could be added to their own interpretation of self, to include what outsiders might also be interested in knowing.

The village is compact and arranged so that everything is within walking distance with houses interspersed here and there. They have a wealth of community resources and venues: a curling rink, 




The band office


A recreation centre


A fire hall

In addition they have a very nice school and a small hospital.

We were also very pleased to visit their very important industrial creation: the Fort McPherson Tent and Canvas Company. This company is owned and operated by indigenous villagers, employing 8 of the village members. It makes many pieces of canvas products such as tents and sled dog covers, clothing, back packs, duffle bags and so forth. Their credit card machine was down when we went, so I spent all of my remaining food money on 2 duffle bags and a lizzie bag (a vertical duffle with a top that closes with a draw string). 






Outside, we crossed over the road to the board walk, and I stopped to scrape off the mud from my shoes. Three Gwich'in were walking up the boardwalk and they smiled and commented on the mud. From there they introduced themselves, James Beaver (on the right) who was born in the village but doesn't live there now, and Larry, a native from Alaska and James' wife Cathy. We figured out later that they were there for the Music Festival at Midway Lake, south of town. We had a good chat, James told me that his ancestor had paddled for Mackenzie in the exploration of the river in the late 1700s. He was very proud of that. We turned to walk up the boardwalk together and I stumbled. Larry grabbed me and the took my arm and gently led me up the pathway. I was, afterall, an elder.

Bless these people. They showed us in just a few hours, the heart of their community. We now go home to learn more. Their history is our history too, and nowhere else could I be made to feel the union.

Below, Barbara Larry and James Beaver on the bkard walk





Barbara Rick and Flossie


No comments:

Post a Comment