Somehow the mind is still in Eastend, even though we have traveled 1200 or so miles of prairie in two countries since then. There was just so much to tell you about this little place, this extraordinary little place. I think of it as a combination of "Corner Gas" and "The Vicar of Dibley". Some of you will only know Corner Gas, and some of you will only know The Vicar of Dibley, but for those of you who know both, I can see you smiling. Right, John?
Before I get to the last day in Eastend I need to tell you about the dinosaurs. Eastend is lousy with them. Our new local friend and guide, Ken Wills used to work on road maintenance for the town, and one day he was out fixing a part of the road that had washed away. He was digging out a bit of earth from the hillside to fill in what had washed out. He backed up the 'dozer with his load of dirt and saw a row of gigantic teeth staring at him. It turned out to be a kind of dinosaur of which there is only one in existence. I have forgotten his Latin name, but he resides in the Eastend Historical Museum as their prize exhibit. The earliest person discovering dinosaurs was of course Corky Jones. But since Corky, Eastend has become widely famous for its long extinct residents. It now has a beautiful dinosaur
museum called the T.Rex Discovery Centre which houses "Scotty"...do take
a look at it here... http://www.trexcentre.ca/
Eastend is now on the Trans Canada Trail, which also brings them a steady troop of hikers all through the summer season. Their favourite walk-in guest from this past season was a Tibetan monk in full orange robes, who politely asked if he could buy vegetables from someone in the town (happily supplied by the vastly amused carnivorous neighbours). People in Eastend liberally share everything in true prairie fashion. Almost everything in town is a co-op...the gas station, the feed store, the hardware store, the agricultural supply. They have a huge arena that houses both the ice rink, and a roping arena. They also have a town swimming pool and frequent dances held at the Old School House. We were invited to the local dance the very day we arrived. Ed, the manager of the campground was the guitar player and he issued the invitation. And people do love to chat. Rick was surprised at how long it took to walk around the town as everyone wanted to chat and were happy to do it with us. They do it as if they have all the time in the world. Perhaps they do? Perhaps chat is more important to them than other things?? Perhaps chat is what glues this amazing little community together?
Well, the last day came. I said my final goodbyes to the family. They are all tucked into the cemetery just above the Riverside RV park where we were camping. In fact every morning I would look out and see them up there....here is the last good-bye from the campground..
But we weren't finished with Eastend just yet. Ed, the manager of the Riverside RV Park came running over to us. He said "you know, we are having a special Hallowe'en celebration the end of the month and we are going to have a poetry reading, and some local guy is giving a power point presentation on the life of Corky Jones. I understand he is going to be using one of those photographs you brought with you and gave to the museums It would be real nice if you could maybe write a note or a little letter to the town and just tell them who you are and what brought you here"...
So I sat down and I wrote the first letter I have ever written to a whole town. "Dear Eastend," it started......"thank you so very much...."

No comments:
Post a Comment