October 23, 2013

Last day in MIssouri...

Monday was our last day with the family. We got off to a very slow start and arrived at the farm around 11AM. Greeting us in the front yard was Ron's new tractor.



 Ron and Carol's farm is really a lovely place. Just take a look at this, rolling hills, lots of green grass, a pond, a huge vegetable garden, fields of wheat and alfalfa....








 We spent a perfect day with family, just "hanging out" in the sun room. Even Molly the aged
Scottish Terrier got to sit on my lap and hang out too. I felt this had been a wonderful visit, because we all got to know each other a lot better. At least now I have most of the immediate cousins memorized and most of their children and grandchildren!!  At the end of day, we lingered before the big good bye to Carol and Ron...






And Aunt Betty of course!


Aunt Thelma said her goodbyes inside the house, so no photo of her but I will give you one from the birthday party...


We headed out across the Missouri River into Kansas and started the next chapter of our adventure.

Unfortunately, when we pulled into our campground in Kinsley, Kansas we were greeted with some very upsetting news. My dear dear friend in Nanaimo BC, Pat Gleeson had suddenly passed away. Thankfully my other dear friend from Nanaimo kept me informed about the events, even though I was so very far away from home. Pat was a one of a kind person. I thought of her as my big sister. Her heart was about as big as could hold the world and the hole she has left in our hearts is beyond measure.

The weekend before we left home, we (her family and friends) had gathered to celebrate Pat's 80th birthday with a surprise party. She was overwhelmed, and said it was the best birthday she had ever had. We are very grateful to have that as our lasting memory of her...so let's lift our glasses to a very great lady and offer thanks for the privilege of calling her "friend".



1 comment:

  1. You will never find kinder and more loving people than the St. Joe clan. Aunt Thelma being at the top of the list. Her mother was the same. I miss all of them terribly and so your blog has filled a little of the void.
    Sorry about your friend's passing. I'm sure you will be left with priceless memories of her.
    Stay safe. (Not much to say about Kansas)

    ReplyDelete