July 26, 2018

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada



Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada


Since we couldn't find residences in the main part of the city, we went looking for where people in Whitehorse actually live, and found them above the town on wide terraces in cul de sacs that look amazingly like Nanaimo. 


We thought we had found the historic district down along the Yukon River, where the trolley runs in front of a single track of historic weatherboard cottages.
But then we found a sign that informed us that the original settlement had been on the other side of the Yukon River, but that once the train had been constructed on the other side, everyone moved over there (seems sensible to me).


Complete with totem pole


The downtown shopping district behind the trolley


downtown core


 ditto



plaque


Now I was totally wrong about the half hour walk to get across town. It took about 12 minutes. Whitehorse is everything I said before: clean, tidy, well organized, well presented. However, I have said this before many times to Rick and here it is very apparent to me. This looks nothing like an American same size town. Nothing. I have always claimed that in many ways, Canadian towns look more like Sweden or Scandinavia than they look like America. I suppose the farther we get away from the American border that might account for it, except that Alaska is just down the street, so to speak, and this is nothing like Alaska. So there you go. You figure it out.

Am tired tonight and tomorrow is a big day as we climb up to Dawson City, and to another exciting discovery.

Barbara Rick and Flossie








No comments:

Post a Comment