The day went as usual: mile after mile of mountains, road, lakes in an endless progression. The highway went from paved with painted lines, to gravel to asvalt and back again. The only change was that we had left farmland and ranchland behind, and replaced it with the wild forest. Very few homes or settements on this stretch of the road. No traffic either. It thinned out right as we left Stewart, and by the time we got halfway up there was nobody on the road except us.
Halfway up the highway to the Yukon, we spied a set of black ears in the ditch alongside the road. Rick slowed right down to a crawl, and I managed just to grab a quick photo of the black bear who had been soaking him or herself in the ditch. It may look small in the photo but it really wasn't. I reckon about the size of one of my donkeys.
Further along we met road work, and Rick was fascinated by the machine they use to cut vegetatyion on the entire bank with on swipe.
Sadly we also went through a very large patch of dead forest, victim to the pine beetle.
Late in the afternoon, we crossed the line into the Yukon.
We tucked into the first campground we found and here is the route for tomorrow. We're
aiming for Whitehorse.
Very tired. We are walking the dog, had a bowl of cereal for supper and now am heading for bed. I think we actually get the CBC here on TV so we will check in for the first news in a week. Can't say I felt like I missed anything.
Love to all,
Barbara Rick and Flossie the incredible adventurer






No comments:
Post a Comment