December 29, 2017

MEXICO SOUTH

OLE!!   We're off!

It was a cold cold morning in Tucson and we were off early, to get through the Mexican border (which like all things Mexican is bogged down in bureaucratic red tape). We stopped on the freeway near Nogales Arizona and gassed up and tried to find propane but nobody was selling it. Off we went.

The Mexican border bisects the twin towns of Nogales. One side is Nogales Arizona, and the other side isNogales Sonora Mexico. And with only a 12 foot metal fence to separate them! (sigh). Actually, we were anxious to get to the Mexican side, to leave the American side. And fortunately for us, all we had to brave were the Mexican border guards.

We went through a maze of convoluted laneways bordered with fences to make sure we stayed put, which ultimately landed us right at the feet of the Mexican border guards. All they cared about was making sure we weren't harbouring someone inside the camper. The irony of this did not pass by me lightly. A quick check and they waved us on. The guard asked us where we were going and we said "Huatabampito" and he looked puzzled. We switched to "San Carlos" and the simile widened. "Ah"
he said in English "Vacation??" and we nodded and and he smiled and we smiled and on we went.

At kilometre 21 we had to stop again and proceed through formal Immigration. I don't need to do anything because I am a permanent resident of Mexico, but Rick who isn't, had to process himself, the vehicle and camper, and Flossie. He had his sheaf of papers and documents ready and off he went while Flossie and I waited patiently in the camper. We had only gone 21 kilometers but the temperature had already risen quickly from 37F in Tucson and Nogales, to 57F at the Mexican Immigration and it was steadily gaining strength. I rolled down the windows. A young starving male dog came scrounging through the parking lot. I found Flossie's bag of treats and went outside where I tossed them over to him. In the end I gave him the entire package. He moved on other cars, and disappeared from view. Starving dogs are something you have to get used to in Mexico. It is hard.

Rick finally emerged with all the bureaucratic aspects finished successfully. It is always stressful to get through this aspect of the trip and now that it is behind us, we relax and enjoy the warmth growing steadily around us.


Northern Mexico just over the border from Arizona is beautiful. I do not know the name of the trees
still glowing with golden autumnal spendour. They grew all along the river valley as we slowly descended towards Santa Ana and beyond.








I know I made a big deal out of the Arizona fettsh of grey and tan earth tones. I did it on purpose. Here, colour is practiced with gay abandon. What would look tawdry and cheap in the US and Canada, looks absolutely warm and totally in place in Mexico. And so does the rambling network of noise and people and the tumble of industry and machines and flowers and children and schools and tiny homes and all things Mexican.

Right now I am staying with colour. We shall see a lot more of that over the next blog posts, but here are just a few shots of the comforting sight of Mexican colour and the jumble of housing and commerce.


Roadside lunch stop. I know you can't hear the wild Mexican music being punched out from some hidden spot, but imagine it. Please.


The town of Hermosillo. Capital of the State of Sonoroa. We travel through it quickly.




And then south we go across mile after mile of nothing but flat fields and distant mountain ranges.
It's hard to notice the descent as it is very gradual. The temperature shoots up to 25C by the time we reach Guaymas and make our way to the campground in front of the Hotel Playa de Cortes. Normally the campground would be behind the hotel, but behind this hotel is the Sea of Cortes. So in we creep, and we open the windows and suck in the air. Rick says with that look of extreme pleasure "feel the moisture". Yes, it is just humid enough to make the air soft and balmy and what we have been waiting for weeks now to feel. We set up camp. There must be 50 or 60 camping slots and only 4 other campers here. This place is virtually unknown as it is off the main highway by a few miles, and tucked away in behind a mountain. It is a gem. Tomorrow you will see for yourself as I photo it just for you.

Below is the long road south, somewhere south of Hermosillo.


Hope you all a very Happy end of of 2017, a year of many challenges for some of us. To all our family and friends, we send this to you with love.

Barbara Rick and Flossie 

No comments:

Post a Comment