June 1, 2015

Marathon on Lake Superior to Spragge...






Still cold. It was below freezing when we packed up and left the campsite at Marathon. But the air was clear and crisp. We passed in and out of different micro-climates which we could discern by the state of the leaves and whether or not they had broken bud. The views along the northern shore of Lake Superior were stunning.





Most of these photos were taken inside Lake Superior Provincial Park which is a pristine section of forestland, granite outcroppings and lake views...but mostly, I just loved the rugged terrain and those amazing passes through granite bedrock...








By the time we reached Sault Ste. Marie (or "the Soo" as most of us call it) we had definitely crossed a divide, and the wild forestland and bush of northern Ontario had shifted into more of the hardwood bush of southern Ontario. Here there was no question that spring had come and the bush was in that wonderful virgin state of lime green freshness. I got to re-experience spring all around me, as the homes were surrounded with lilacs and flowering cherries. These bloom in April at home. The sense of a lovely April day in almost June was quite a treat.




We arrived at Spragge still with energy enough to walk around the camp and take the trail to the river where canoes were set out ready for the summer influx. Right next to us in the camp ground was a recently retired couple from Kamloops on their way to explore Canada right across to Newfoundland. They didn't expect to be back to BC until September. I had a twinge of envy, but to be honest I cannot see ourselves taking that much time out from life at home anymore. It's one thing to go south for the winter months to escape the grey and gloomy weather, but it would be quite another to sacrifice an entire Gabriola summer to wander along some long stretch of highway with sub freezing nightly temps!! I know I am sounding spoiled, but the aim in retirement is to find your comfort zone and enjoy it. It is the time for being spoiled!! For these folks it is 4 months exploring Canada (they had never been east before). For us it is returning eastward to visit friends and family and then happily returning to our roots in the west. Each to his happy own, eh?? Besides, the boys at home would never forgive us...as it is, I expect to be shunned for quite some time when we return. I am familiar with the routine. Back sides thrust into my face, a refusal to take the mineral pan, a toss of the mane when offered a slice of apple. I will be made to PAY for this month of holiday without them. You can be sure of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment